torsdag den 19. juli 2018

Shelob - The Creation Of Shelob



About 6 years ago I got myself a tarantula, a Grammstola Rosea / Chilean Rose Tarantula. I still have it, it´s lifespan can extend to almost 30 years! About the time I got her home, I actually wanted (of course) to call it Shelob, my then GF (soon to be my wife) had other thoughts. If I were to have a tarantula then it would not be with that name! Her name became .. Lotte. Which is a traditional and rather... boring Danish name! Enough of that, the sadness and pain of not having a Shelob-named Arachnid in my house has just diminished a few steps down, and I can thank some dude from France with his (yet another) Tolkien inspired dungeon synth solo project. This time we are (of course) having the focus on the evil Ungoliat offspring spider Shelob. Due to the circumstances regarding the Tolkien movies made by Peter Jackson, the name Shelob may be as known as the name of the king of pop, Michael Jackson. So you should probably know who Shelob is, if not .... well... (no comment). 

Either way, The Creation of Shelob is the very first release/debut with this act. And it was released last year October the 17th. A wonderful atmospheric release that actually needs your attention...especially if you are (as I mentioned before) a fan of Tolkien. 

The first track simply called Shelob being an... interesting merry piece with hidden evil undercurrents. Strange, spidery and evocative ritualistic drums start the track and get accompanied by an epic and monotone adventurous tune. Actually reminds me of another French act called Derniere Volente (Martial-Wave), which in turns takes their ideas from a classic synth-pop band called Orchestral Manoeuvres In the Dark. Is this the French sound, if it is so then I actually like it. As I mentioned earlier, a strangely merry and seductive piece. Second track Web Of The Spider being a hypnotizing piece that just gets you tangled in, and you probably are not going to get out of the mess! Spidery and beautiful string-like tunes caressing your neural spines, fantastic!. Additional added martial drums being added to clearly illustrate the physical, tiresome and senseless struggle to get out of the web. Third track you´ll probably sense a merging (and huge) shadow appearing. Being steady, sure-footed, and slowly getting closer. In this track, Shelob doesn't sound like the ugly brute like in the movies. But more like a fantastic and tantalizing spidery half-god of immense beauty. The track starts with a merry´ish tune... but slowly and surely it crawls into a slithering deep and murky dark tune. 


Fourth creation on this album is about...A Deadly poison. Yes, the two syringe-like Arachnid fangs have reached its goal and pumping the poison inside. The kind of poison which will basically turn you into suckable juice. Again like the first track, a strangely merry slow-building martial pop-tune? I think it wants to illustrate the embracing calmness the poison gives to the unlucky victim... there´s no reason to struggle, just give in and relax. Again, it works in a kind of seductive way. The albums end in the company of another well-known dungeon-synth act which is also French, ElixiR. Spidery strings, martial and evocative tunes wrap it all up rather beautifully. 

What a bloody excellent album!. I don't know why, but I could imagine a nice digipack release would be excellent for this. I really wish a physical release of this, and I am going to check out the rest with this dungeon synth act. Several Bandcamp releases, be sure to check them out!.