tirsdag den 19. december 2017

Merzbow - Door Open At 8 AM



It´s Mr. Merzbow´s birthday today (19th December), so, I have then decided to do a review of a classic (and older) Merzbow album. As we speak I´m sitting in a library doing the reviews, and at this very moment, this library building is getting a new roof. Sounds of electrically driven power tools, drilling sounds, hammers etc are coming down on me from above. At the same time, I have been so unlucky in forgetting my headphones, so I have borrowed a pair from the library (which are quite shitty!). I will try (my best) to review this classic Merzbow album, nonetheless!.

Giving an introduction to Merzbow would be silly. I will be quick. This man from Japan has made experimental noisy stuff since 1979!. And has 100 of releases under his belt (way more than that I think!). Even released a box set containing 50 CDs!. 
So basically, we are dealing with the godfather of noise. So every time you are out and experiencing some new and "trendy" harsh-noise act, you can then be pretty sure that Merzbow (more-or-less) are responsible for that experience. 

Released on Alien8 Recordings back in 1999, 7 tracks (almost 70 minutes). With a strange and not typical album name, Door Open At AM?. 

I like it because it is quite, special in a way. Lots of free-jazz elements, even minor technoid drum patterns hidden in the mix. Big-city and metallic noir jazz/noise analog fusion... almost works as some sort of soundtrack (Tetsuo?). Nicely balanced between the chaotic and the monotonic. Trippy and incredible varying in sound.



If you ever need a good place to start with Merzbow, then I would recommend this!. It´s not too noisy or ambient´ish/drone´ish either. I think it gives the listener a perfect example of what you can expect from Merzbow. There´s the trippy experimental bits, the noisy aggressive sounds, jazzy grooves with occasional industrial´ish and metallic elements. You don´t need to be a harsh noise addict to listen to it, it had a lot more to offer!

And once again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MERZBOW!!


Discogs (Door Open...):

Wikipedia: