tirsdag den 24. april 2018

Who Dares Win II



Ever heard of Commando? Not the Arnold flick! (but the computer game). A Capcom classic from 85, one of the biggest arcade to home-computer adaptions ever. A fast scrolling run and gun game, one soldier against an army (kill em´all!) I played it on my C64, loved the music and loved the action! But I always thought back then, that there was one tiny problem. The fun was too fast and too hectic. I know it is a matter of personal taste, I usually prefer turn-based games rather than real-time.



But regarding the success of Commando, clones of the game was bound to happen. So we ended up with Who Dares Win and the (greater) follow-up Who Dares Win II. I fell (instantly) in love with the game from the very first glimpse. Since I only review games from my ZX Vega, I will then focus my review on the ZX-version of Who Dares Win II (Only Who Dares Win II came on the ZX, not nr.I)

Like Commando, it is a run and shoot / top-down shooter treat which was published by Alligate Software in 85. It was decided to do a follow up as a remake on the first Who Dares Win since it was accused of being too similar to Commando. The game is simple; shoot down the enemy soldiers (or throw grenades at then), rescue prisoners and reach the very top/end of the level.



I played the first Who Dares Win as a kid, and as far as I can remember I didn´t see it as a complete clone of Commando at all. I saw it as a slower-thinking man's version of Commando, where you actually could (by strategic means) shoot down your enemies. Where in Commando, you are almost a suicidal killing machine on speed. In Who Dares Win, it almost feels like a sneak sniper type of a game. In Commando it also felt like someone stressfully pushing you through the game to end it, while in Who Dares Win it felt like the player had more control. And you know what? It still is a bloody fun game to play, And I think it stands the test of time... Take a break from your counter strike and try this sucker for a change!

World Of Spectrum:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0005673