onsdag den 4. marts 2020

Winterblood ‘Luftschloss 

written by Balderus



OK, basically I am a big Winterblood aficionado. The breed that plays any release by this one-man band when I read, or simply when I want to start an introspection or a daydreaming session. ‘Luftschloss’ has systematically marshaled me through my reading times since it was released a few days ago. Like have ‘Hiraeth’, ‘Foresta Impenetrabile’, or my favorite ever ‘Waldeinsamkeit’ on earlier texts. This review is more a confirmation than a popping highlight.

Be sure these two 40-minute-and-more tracks shall bring you somewhere high and, as the title mentions it, a castle in the air. And by this I won’t mean a pipe dream like the idiom refers to but well and truly a musical stronghold of trancelike adventures. The artist himself describes the release as:


The 'meditation' goes on. Luftschloss is an etheric journey through the icy mountains, arcane presences, my steps into irrationality, and my inner voices; sounds that disintegrate my thoughts and put me in front of my soul. All of it lies within the music...


The first track ‘Apparition dans la forêt’ (transl. ‘apparition in the woods’) suggests that the canopies are the moonlit nightskies and the wraith appearing an ethereal being, undefined and hypnotic. Feel the translucent layers of ghostly air!

Then, the second track ‘Autre dimension’ (transl. ‘another dimension’) confirms that this mysterious wraith can be the astral boatman to the evoked other dimension. The track structure shows an efficient progression from the canopies to this now reachable castle in the air, where halls are roofless, opened to further journeys.

I’ll conclude by saluting once again this Italian band and encouraging all of you to use this tool to have access to these wide and tragic kingdoms in the air. Be brave: wander through the aerial woods and don’t reject this opportunity to know other astral dimensions!