onsdag den 7. marts 2018

Personal thoughts on Q Lazzarus and Goodbye Horses



I really didn´t know what I wanted to write today. At times, I don´t even know why I spend so much time on music. Could it be that (most of us) subconsciously have the knowledge regarding that perfect-song for our individual souls? And yes... I am talking about that perfect song that we spend our lifetime searching for, the same way we are searching for that perfect love etc. 

I am not exactly sure, but I am sure about that NONE other songs have touched me as much as Q Lazzarus´s mysterious song Goodbye Horses. And believe me, I have searched high and low for that perfect song. With over 3000 Compact Discs, tons of cassettes and vinyl, MTV, Youtube, Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Soulseek (gulp), concerts, books and articles about music, radio and on and on and on. This is the one track I will go with the fxxxxxx grave with me!


It was the summer of 1991 where I saw the Silence of the Lambs in the local cinema. Being 14 of age and witnessing the eerie, erotic and strangeness of the Buffobill Character, dancing quite disturbingly with that... tune in the background. I almost felt entirely engulfed by that scene, and the tune instantly mutated small parts of my brain. I was then bound to live my teenage life without knowing who the artist was, the tuned stayed with me none-the-less. I was then (of course) lucky that the Internet was created, so in the year of 2001, I managed to headhunt down that amazing track/artist/band. Through Napster, I downloaded it... felt almost like joining up with some lost family member. and yes, I am still loving the damn track and treats it almost like the holy bible.


So why the hell am I writing this today?. To my knowledge (yesterday) someone has uploaded the rare and official music-video on Youtube (see above). Seeing the singer in-motion and alive almost as if seeing a god! And the track/video is 1+ minute longer than the original version as well. And that is not all, the demo versions of the song have ALSO been uploaded for everyone to hear. Instead of spending way too much money on the single via Discogs, costs between 70 euros to 250 pounds!.


Love this track?. Further examination regarding this mysterious act can be located via various sources on that Internet. One piece of interesting piece of info os this:

“the song is about transcendence over those who see the world as only earthly and finite.”

That is heavy, adds a lot more mystery to the track. If you are not satisfied yet, then there are also tons of various bands and artists who have made cover-versions of it. My favorite cover versions would be Canadian Psyche´s version of it, which blows new life into it while maintaining the aesthetics. 

 

That was it, hope you enjoyed this little text (and the song!). Have a good day everyone.

Wiki:

Discogs: